Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco De Mayo Breakfast Tacos - Gour-Maybe Style

While some might see Cinco de Mayo as a chance to go to an authentic Mexican taco stand for a chorizo-filled breakfast taco treat, I decided it was appropriate to make breakfast tacos Gour-Maybe style. I technically shouldn't even be making or eating breakfast as I'm about to go to brunch, but hey, it's a holiday, and everyone knows on Cinco de Mayo, you are supposed to have two breakfasts....right?... I heard that somewhere I swear. Instead of chorizo, I used pancetta. I always have Central Market flour tortillas (they are the BEST, homemade and delicious) on hand. Then I just add chopped chives and basil and a little goat cheese. Done. Everything can be doubled/quadrupled etc. Recipe after the jump.




Basil, Chive, Pancetta and Goat Cheese Breakfast Tacos (Serves 2)
You will need:

  • 4 oz pancetta, cooked and chopped to small dice
  • 2 tsp chives, minced
  • 2 tsp basil, chopped fine
  • 4 large eggs, cage-free, hormone-free, raised in a chicken mansion etc, 
  • 2 CM flour tortillas - just go buy them, keep them in the freezer, always good to have
  • 2 tsp Montchevre goat cheese
  • Kosher salt/pepper to taste
Cook pancetta in a medium saute pan on medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove pan from heat, wipe with a paper towel until just a little of the pancetta drippings remain in the pan.  Transfer pancetta to a paper towel to drain. Chop herbs. Place eggs in a medium bowl with a pinch (or if you are me, 1tsp)of salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously until frothy. Just like with the Truffled Eggs post, I always cook my eggs low and slow:
 With the pan still on low/lowest heat, stir frequently as the eggs begin to set and thicken, developing a creamy texture after about 5-7 minutes.You know they are ready when you start getting annoyed that it's taking so long - but this time is worth it! Trust me. When the eggs are set, but still creamy or “wet” remove from heat.
Stir in herbs, pancetta and goat cheese. Season again with salt and pepper to taste. Heat tortillas, and spoon equal portions into each tortilla. Roll and serve with any remaining chives sprinkled on top. Gour-Maybes love a garnish!





No comments:

Post a Comment