Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gour....maybe?

So what does "gour-maybe" even mean? Since gour-maybe isn't a real word, and this is a question I've gotten a lot, here's my "brief" explanation of what it's all about.

Gour-maybe
describes both the aspiring gourmet, and the closet gourmet who may have the occasions and/or desire to create gourmet meals, but have absolutely zero formal training in the culinary arts. If a foodie is a person that is passionate about the knowledge of food, a gour-maybe is passionate about creating delicious and gorgeous food of all varieties. (This is the "GOUR" part). However, the gour-maybe also isn't going to be missing a hot date to stay home and watch the bread rise (This is the "MAYBE" part). It's the person with one foot by the custom Viking range, and the other by the electric stove in the apartment they really live in. It's the person who likes to cook a souffle when friends come over, but can also be happy with a "simple" turkey sandwich (note: they may or may not be making the bread and mayo from scratch.) It's the person that buys the wine or cheese, sometimes just because they like the way the label looks or the way the name sounds. It's the person that may want to be a full-time gourmet, or may just want the skills to pull it off every once and a while. Interested? Learn more after the jump:

The biggest hurdle to gourmet food is often fear: it can be intimidating, but this gour-maybe knows that it doesn't have to be. I know that cooking in real life isn't always effortless, easy, and the result of a 20 person photo shoot. I know this because I have burnt, over-baked, spilled, splashed and trashed thousands of recipes over 20+years of cooking, so you, my friends, don't have to make the same mistakes I did. Ask my parents. Along the way, I've learned lots of tips, tricks and lessons that I think can get you great and tasty gourmet results, without the panic attacks. And, you won't be handcuffed to your oven for days to do it. Unless, of course, that's your thing.

I'm still learning and cooking everyday, and this blog will cover things I know, and things I want to conquer.

If your sous chef is you, this is the blog for you.

If you find Sur la Table and Target equally important to your cooking success, this is the blog for you.

If you get all the jokes in the "It's getting real in the Whole Foods parking lot" video, this is the blog for you.

If you want to learn to cook delicious gourmet food , or add to your gourmet skills, or just make yourself feel better by seeing me take one for the culinary team, this is the blog for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment