Saturday, January 5, 2013

Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce


After coming back from Australia over the holidays, and being on a two week seafood bender, one thing stuck out - we were missing some sauce love! There was lots of aioli, but it was mostly bland - almost just a straight "mayo" as we'd call it,. One thing you can count on in the South when you order seafood is a good, flavorful cocktail sauce (if you want a good store-bought version, check THIS out), and a good tartar sauce. I have to say, I was missing that savory, zingy flavor. I mean I love mayo, but you can only eat so much! Because I'm a sucker for anything rich and delicious, I always have to have homemade tartar sauce with my otherwise "healthy" seafood. So I decided to make a batch to keep on hand for upcoming seafood needs. This couldn't be easier and takes about 10 minutes. I like a little garlic flavor, but you could easily omit garlic. You can do ahead and keep for about a week in the fridge. This recipe also doubles and triples easily. Read all about it, after the jump!



Gour-Maybe Homemade Tartar Sauce (serves 4-6)
You will need:
  • 1 C good-quality Mayo
  • 2 T chopped capers
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard
  • 1 clove garlic - grated fine
  • 1/3 C cornichon pickles - chopped fine
  • 2 T white wine vinegar 
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • fresh black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
Get ready for easiness! Stir all ingredients to combine in a medium bowl. Chill for 2-4 hours before serving to let the flavors meld. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment