Sunday, April 7, 2013

Kale, Squash, Sausage and Fontina Scramble



I think I've said before that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. And of the breakfast options, nothing beats a good egg dish in my book. This egg dish, however, is not just for breakfast. In fact, it's one of my favorite breakfast-for-dinner options. To make a scramble satisfying enough for dinner, I do my eggs on top of sauteed kale, yellow squash and smoked sausage and top with some freshly grated fontina cheese and two over easy eggs. Yum! The smoky sausage, hearty kale and squash are a perfect base. I like to serve a little Cholula hot sauce on the side for some kick, but that's totally up to you. With a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh black pepper, you are good to go with a delicious dinner in about 20 minutes.You could also use freshly grated Parmesan on top of your eggs. I love fontina - super creamy and melty! Get the scramble secrets - after the jump !



Kale, Squash, Sausage and Fontina Scramble (Serves 2)
You will need:
  • 2 links smoked sausage (appx 6 inches in length each, or one 12 inch link), sliced in 1/4" slices
  • 1 large yellow squash, cut in 1 inch cubes
  • 4 cups baby kale or kale (roughly chopped)
  • 4 cloves garlic, halved
  • 2 T olive oil 
  • 4 farm eggs (or the freshest eggs possible)
  • 1/4 cup fontina cheese, grated
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper
  • Cholula or other hot sauce 

Do the sausage, squash and kale first, in that order. In a large saute pan, saute the sausage slices over medium heat until they begin to brown and the fat renders (appx 5-7 minutes). Stir in 1 T olive oil and all the squash and garlic. Stir frequently over medium heat until the squash and garlic begin to brown. Transfer squash and sausage to a bowl, and set aside. Add kale to the saute pan, and stir over medium heat until just wilted - this only takes about a minute. Set aside. Add remaining 1 T olive oil to the pan. Crack the eggs into the pan, and cook "over easy". This just means that the eggs get cooked on the first side until the whites are almost completely set, and then flipped to cook on the other side. I usually cook for 3-4 minutes on side one, and then flip and do about 20 seconds on the other side. If you prefer your eggs more done, you can leave them for longer. Layer half of kale, then sausage and squash in a shallow bowl and then top with 2 eggs. Sprinkle with fontina cheese. Repeat for second plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Enjoy! Add a few dashes of Cholula, if you want to get spicy.

2 comments:

  1. Breakfast for dinner is something I love as well. When I'm tired from work, I want to prepare a dish that's healthy, delicious, but is very easy to cook. Just like this one. I always love the combination of eggs and sausages, so this dish is definitely to my liking.
    Dione Nye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Dione! I love eggs - and breakfast is always easier to make:)

    ReplyDelete