Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gour-Maybe Entertaining Essentials - Cheese Plate - COW'S MILK

from top left, clockwise: Stilton, Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk, Brillat-Savarin a la Truffe

Last night, I had a great excuse - aka, it was Saturday - to try a few new cheeses I had purchased. The reviews are in! All were cow's milk cheese (one way to organize a cheese plate) - I think it's really interesting to see the amazing range of cheeses that each milk variety yields.  I threw in a Stilton (COW), which I eat all the time, because I almost always have a blue cheese option on any cheese plate. Gour-maybe reminder - ask your cheese store or grocery store to cut the pieces to whatever size you need, especially if you are trying something for the first time. Don't want a wedge of wasted fromage! First new cheese - Cowgirl Creamery's Red Hawk (COW). I love the Cowgirl Creamery's Mt. Tam - also a delicious pick, but Red Hawk is a little bit stronger. It tasted even better with some fresh honeycomb.   Next, Brillat-Savarin a la Truffe (COW). As you might have guessed from "Truffe" this has truffles. Need I say more? No, but I will! It's got a great texture, almost like whipped cream cheese, and just melts in your mouth. Plain or with honey, on crackers or just as is. Bottom line. Each was memorable and I'd recommend them to most cheese lovers. If you are looking for a new cheese, try one of these! We drank it with a bottle of 1919 Malbec - also a good, cheap choice at $10.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment