Monday, May 27, 2013

Homemade Peach Berry Cobbler




After a long hiatus of dealing with my real work life (the one that pays the bills), responsibilities (the bills), wedding planning and about a month of weekends out of town, I knew I'd have to make up for my shameful absence with a good, old-fashioned Memorial Day classic dessert blow out. I felt like I've covered quite a few all-American dishes like Strawberry Shortcake and Apple Crostata (Pie) on this blog, but it dawned upon me that I was missing the most major of holiday classics - Cobbler. Cobbler is one of my favorite desserts because it is easy and versatile. I feel like it's a Southern thing: I remember my grandmother making it, but most regions have some version of cobbler. It also gives you an excuse to eat ice cream, and since it's fruit-based, it's basically fat-free. At first I was set on peach. I wasn't too impressed with the peaches I saw so I added blueberries. Then I had a pint of blackberries and I added those. The result to me has more flavor than just sticking with one fruit, but you could use just peaches, just blackberries etc.  I like a dough version of cobbler, and I use oatmeal in mine to give it a heartier texture.It soaks up all that berry deliciousness and gives it a nice crunch. Get cobbling after the jump!




Homemade Peach Berry Cobbler  (Serves 8)
You will need: 

Filling (feel free to use the fruits in different ratios to suit your palate)
  • 1 lb ripe peaches, cut in 1 inch pieces - appx 2 cups
  • 1 pint blackberries (2 cups)
  • 2 pints blueberries (4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 T cornstarch
  • 1 T unsalted butter
  • 1 pinch kosher salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp lemon zest

Dough
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus a little more for your countertop)
  • 1/2 cup instant oatmeal (quick oats)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (NOT SODA)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 6 tsp unsalted butter - chilled and chopped into slivers
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk  - chilled
  • Vanilla Ice Cream or Creme Fraiche 

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss all fruits, brown sugar, vanilla and corn starch in a medium bowl. Transfer into a large saute pan. Cook over medium/medium low heat, watching closely until mixture thickens and bubbles (about 5-7 minutes). Stir in the butter and kosher salt and zest. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, make the dough. Stir all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter with forks, your fingers or pastry cutters until the mixture resembles coarse meal - you will remember this technique from the Blackberry Farm Biscuits! Stir in buttermilk until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat the dough into a rectangle that is about 3/4 inch thick. Use biscuit cutters or a knife to cut the dough into squares or rounds. Scoop berry mixture from saute pan into a rectangular pyrex or baking dish that is at least 3 inches deep (I used about a 6 w x 3.5 h  x 12 l) using a ladle. Once all the berries have transferred, discard any leftover liquids in the pan. You don't want your berries to be too filled with liquid, which could make the dough soggy. Top with the cut dough squares, which you can sprinkle with sugar if you like. It doesn't have to be super pretty - I actually like the rustic look. Bake for 30 minutes or until biscuits are just done. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or creme fraiche! (I like to sweeten my creme fraiche with a little honey). Enjoy! Happy Memorial Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment